Parent Visa

Parent Visa

Australian Migration law allows parents of Australian Citizens, Permanent Residents, or eligible New Zealand Citizens to apply for a Parent Migration Visa Australia. There are certain criteria eligible children need to meet to be able to sponsor their parents.

Applicant can only be eligible to apply for Parent visa if they meet balance of family test where:
  • At least half their children and stepchildren are eligible children
  • There are more eligible children than children living in any other single country

Where an eligible child is you or your partner’s child, including stepchildren and adopted children who are Australian Citizens, Australian Permanent residents, usually settled in Australia or an eligible New Zealand citizen residing in Australia.

Following subclasses are subjected to balance of family test: 
  • 103 – Parent
  • 143 – Contributory Parent
  • 173 – Contributory Parent (Temporary)
  • 804 – Aged Parent
  • 864 – Contributory Aged Parent

Only aged parent subclasses (SC 804, SC 864 and SC 884) can be applied onshore and usually entitled to bridging visa, but applicants need to meet aged parent definition i.e. above the pension age of 67 years as of 1 July 2023.

Parent visa usually can be segregated in two categories 

  1. Parent visa 
  2. Contributory Parent visa

If you are considering bringing your parents to Australia, it is important to understand the requirements and processes involved in obtaining a Parent Visa. The Parent Visa allows parents to live in Australia temporarily or permanently, depending on the specific subclass applied for.

FAQs –

I am an Australian PR or Citizen. Can I sponsor my parents?

Parents who meet the balance of the family test are only eligible for a parent’s visa and they are also eligible to apply for a parent visa with you as sponsor.

Can my parents get a bridging visa if I apply for a parent visa?

Applicants who meet eligibility criteria for onshore visa are eligible for bridging visas.

I don’t have enough money to pay for a contributory visa at once, can I split the cost over some period?

Yes, there are payment options available with Indeedvisa. Please contact us to discuss in detail.