Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189)
This visa is applicable for skilled migrant workers who are not sponsored by an employer, a relative or nominated by the Australian State or Territory. This program allows applicants to live and work in Australia as permanent residents.
- Must receive invitation letter to apply for the visa
- The profession must be on the relevant list of eligible skilled occupations
- Must have relevant skills assessment for nominated occupation
- Must be under 45 years old
- Must meet the score specified in the invitation letter based on the factors in the points test
- Must have a competent level in English
- Must meet health and character requirements
Do I need sponsorship to apply for Subclass 189?
No, Subclass 189 is an independent visa and therefore doesn’t require sponsorship. However, we consider the competition to be high for subclass 189 and therefore we suggest to always keep options open for other subclasses as well.
Can I include my partner and children in subclass 189 application?
Yes, you can include your family members (spouse and children) in your visa application.
What is the benefit of subclass 189 as compared to subclass 190 and subclass 491?
Once a visa is granted under subclass 189, the applicant is free to move and settle in any part of Australia.