Partner Visa (Subclass 820/801 and 309/100)

Australian Partner Visa 820/801/309

If you are married or in a de facto relationship with an Australian Citizen, Australian Permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand Citizen, then you may be able to apply for a Partner visa for Australia. This visa allows you to live and work in Australia permanently as the partner of an Australian citizen or permanent resident.

There are two answers to the question “how to get a partner visa for australia”, the onshore partner visa (subclass 820/801) and the offshore partner visa (subclass 309/100). The subclass 820/801 is for onshore applicants, while the subclass 309/100 is for offshore applicants. Partners can be in a Married or de facto relationship to apply for a partner visa. The process involves obtaining a Temporary Partner Visa first (subclass 820 or 309) and then transitioning to a Permanent Partner Visa (subclass 801 or 100). It is important to note that there is only one application for both the Temporary and Permanent Partner Visas, and the fees are paid only once. The application process is divided into two steps, with approximately two years between them.

Criteria for the Partner Visa include:

  • Proving the de facto or married relationship.
  • The spouse must sponsor the applicant.
  •  The applicant and the partner must have met in person and have a genuine relationship. Evidence of genuine and continuing relationship are a must for partner visa application irrespective of whether offshore or onshore. 
  • The applicant must be at least 18 years old.
  • Meeting Australian health requirements, which may involve undergoing a health examination.
  • Meeting character requirements of Australia, which may require providing a police certificate.
  • Providing proof of no debts to the Australian Government.
  • Providing biometrics as part of the application process.

If you meet these criteria and can provide the necessary evidence, you may be eligible to apply for a spouse or de facto partner visa Australia. It is important to carefully follow the application process and provide all required documentation to increase your chances of a successful outcome.

FAQs –

Why should I use a migration agent from Indeedvisa for a Partner visa?

We have extensive experience in partner visa and have obtained successful results in many complicated cases such as schedule 3 issues, previous visa refusal, Section 48. We believe in clean business practices therefore we provide one quotation and will never ask you for more money for services agreed on client agreement. We make the whole process of partner visa stress less for our clients and go to extraordinary lengths to help them with whatever query they may have.

Indeedvisa prides itself on always providing advice by keeping only the best interests of our clients. We will give you all information upfront so that you can make an informed decision. We believe in ethical and integral practices and will never advise you on something which is not in your best interests.

Can applicants stay in Australia after applying for a partner visa?

If you  applied for a valid partner visa onshore (Subclass 820/801), then yes, you can legally stay in Australia on a bridging visa.

Is being married mandatory for a partner visa in Australia?

Though marriage reflects commitment of a relationship between partners, it is not mandatory for a partner visa in Australia. There is a de facto pathway which many people choose to apply for a partner visa.

I am Section 48 barred. Can Indeedvisa help me to apply for a partner visa?

Yes, we have successfully applied and got approval for partner visa cases where S48 was applicable.

My sponsor has sponsored a previous partner. Can they sponsor me?

There is a sponsorship obligation which prevents anyone from sponsoring again unless 5 years have passed from the previous sponsorship. Only 2 sponsorships in lifetime are allowed, unless there are compelling and compassionate reasons to exempt this criterion.